One of my unrealized ambitions is to one day do one of those stupidly oversimplified pop-science books written by someone who has no real qualifications in whateber it is he's talking about other than a degree and a bigger desire to become famous than to make advancements in his chosen profession. For me, it will no doubt be about the unbridled creativity of the early Internet, when it was a real frontier populated by anonymous unseen personalities with legendary backgrounds and cool nicknames; when you could get away with all kinds of crazy stuff because laws about computers hadn't been invented yet; when spam, web pages, social media, and digital marketing were still years away; when we swore Neuromancer was only a couple years out, but we wasted our best minds on anti-spam, anti-malware, and captcha technology.
This archive contains a list of stuff I would consider source material in capturing that magical era of culture and thought that shaped my world view in so many ways. I present it here as time capsule, without comment. I am assuming everything is free to republish with attribution and without modifications (we didn't yet have GCC when most of this stuff was originally posted). If you are the copyright holder and want me to take down your publication simply drop me a note and I will happily do so.
- Boutin, Paul "101 Ways to Save the Internet."
- Cookie, Kevin and Dan Lehrer "The Whole World Is Talking." The Nation. July 12, 1993
- Dvorak, John C. "Trust Congress? Not With This Unbelieveable Lair of Slop." PC Computing. April 1994
- Elmer-DeWitt, Pilip. "Technospeak." Time. February 8, 1993
- Lanham, Richard A. "The Implications of Electronic Information for the Sociology of Knowledge." University of California, Los Angeles. October 2, 1992
- Lebkowsky, Jon. "Fiction That Bleeds Truth." bOING-bOING. 1992
- Markoff, John. "The Rise and Swift Fall of Cyber Literacy." New York Times. March 13, 1994
- Palmer, Terry. "Under, Over and Around the Net: Interrupting the Utopian Subject of the Internet." July 27, 1994